Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Politics is Perception


I put up the second banner after I heard Obama speak about the BP oil spill. It doesn't really matter in the political world what a leader does; it matters how he is perceived doing his job.

That's why the demagogues in politics spread lies fast, get them out in front, get them covered and spread even farther and then have their opponents play "clean up."

Knitting Friday - A Day Late
Yesterday, I worked on my newsletter. Every month, I think: I'm sooo bored with this. But then it comes together so fast and smoothly that I just trudge along. I'm waiting for a resident to say:
Hey, Getting the newsletter out each month. That sounds like fun. I'd love to try it..... And I'm still shoveling the shit looking for the pony.

What a frustrating knitting week! Take a look at this shawl:


This shawl is part of my $50 spree at KnitPicks when I bought 1 skein of each color in their $1.99 lace. I've made two shawls as triangles with one skein each but my goal was to make a rectangular shawl knitted on the diagonal in only one skein (431 yards.)

This one is my first. It'll be about 58" x 18" and it's been a bear to knit.

Apparently, this simple lace pattern has "real" lace knitting in it. It's a pattern I've posted before: Row 1 and 2: stockinette st. Row 3 & 4: first row: *YO, K2tog*; second row: *YO, P2tog* (With the appropriate number of edge stitches.)

It's Row 3 and 4 which are the real lace knitting since there is no resting row (all K or P) separating them. Whoopee! That also means when you slip a stitch off the needle, it just heads south. I think for every 10 rows worked, I've pulled out two rows. This damn thing has taken forever.

But, in spite of the grousing, I really like the shawl. I'm using US 10.5 which is way too big for lace but it achieves a lovely, airy look and feel. Plus, no way was I going to get any usable size with typical lace-sized needles. I've been weighing the yarn so I would start the each side decreases section while I still have enough yarn left. It looks like I'll have more than enough (does the decrease section take less than the increase portion?) so I'll do some type of small edging.

As I'm typing and knitting, I'm also making the biggest mistake yet on this shawl. Somehow, I got the working yarn laced into the shawl itself. What a mess!

I have only about 25 stitches to bind off. At the rate I'm going, that should take a week.

I'll leave you with a picture of Miss M from last week. Remember, you're looking at a just 4 month old dog. No CGI here. This is going to be one big dog. And adorable!

Happy knitting.



No comments: