Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Website Wednesday

Some good news: Miss M no longer wears the "cone of shame." Whether it was a false alarm or the antibiotics are kicking in, her butt problem (really butt appearance) seems to have disappeared and she is devoting all her spare time to growing at a phenomenal rate. At this point, she's pulling me down the stairs when she's leashed so that I have to grab the railing. That is one strong puppy!

Second good news: I think I have a handle on the article I'm writing on our new Property Manager. This assignment is a bear since she's brand new to the community so praise can come off as fulsome. If our President only wanted a straight news article - no problem; but he wants personal details so it's the dreaded news/feature article. Start the molasses machine!

My website picks are rather frivolous this Wednesday. It's going to be 92 degrees today (it's 78 already) and I'm thinking summer carefree:

http://www.scoutingny.com/

This blogger scouts NY: I work as a film location scout in New York City. My day is basically spent combing the streets for interesting and unique locations for feature films. In my travels, I often stumble across some pretty incredible sights, most of which go ignored daily by thousands of New Yorkers in too much of a rush to pay attention.

Take a look because she shows you some really neat locations and makes you think that perhaps you should be paying more attention during your travels. Plus, she's an interesting writer.

My second pick is all fluff and all girl (I think):

http://www.holidaymatinee.com/2010/05/10/one-girl-one-dress-one-year-and-infinite-reasons-why-this-project-is-great/

You probably have to be a girl (woman/female/whatever) to enjoy this project but the blogger took one dress and wore it for a year with different accessories. You get to see each day and you can stop the video to examine any of the 365 days for inspiration. This project was done for charity, which makes it even nicer.

Now, I'll admit this "one dress all year" has not been my quest (I'm more into getting the perfect outfit to wear to work so when you're told "There's a mandatory attendance fancy dress party right after work." your work clothes are capable of a presto, change-o into party wear. However, I really liked looking at all the outfits she managed to come up with and I thought: Imagine the permutations she would have with three basic dresses. No more clothes shopping ever!

After you're finished viewing the dresses, go to the main site:

http://www.holidaymatinee.com/

It's an active website which says: Holiday Matinee began in a bedroom and then outgrew it. It started in 1999 to get recognition for talented friends – musicians, artists, entrepreneurs, people doing cool stuff. Ten years later it’s a mission-driven company specializing in good design, creative consulting, a trendspotting blog and philanthropic efforts. Holiday Matinee’s formula is simple: we only partner with people, projects and revolutions we give a damn about. Then we go to work. (And we don’t sleep much).

You may get inspiration for your hidden muse here.

See you next Wednesday.






No comments: